MoMA PS1 champions how art and artists are at the intersection of the social, cultural, and political issues of their time. Providing audiences with the agency to ask questions, access to knowledge, and a forum for public debate, PS1 has offered insight into artists’ diverse worldviews for more than 40 years. Founded in 1976 by Alanna Heiss, the institution was a defining force in the alternative space movement in New York City, transforming a nineteenth century public schoolhouse in Long Island City into a site for artistic experimentation and creativity. Led by Kate Fowle, who was appointed Director in 2019, PS1 is currently implementing an 18-month Strategic Transition Plan to re-envision the institution for the future. With an FY21 budget of approximately $7-8M, PS1 has been a member of New York City’s Cultural Institutions Group (CIG) since 1982, and affiliated with The Museum of Modern Art since 2000.
The Administrative Assistant supports the administrative functions of the Curatorial Team, ensuring accurate data entry and financial reporting for all exhibitions and programs. Under the direction of the Curator, the Administrative Assistant will work closely with the full Curatorial Team to provide preparatory assistance and logistical support that ensures exhibitions and programs are executed smoothly.
Supervision The Administrative Assistant reports to the Curator, works collaboratively with members of the Curatorial Team, and coordinates across all the Museum departments.
– Prepare, organize and maintain multiple checklists and spreadsheets.
– Execute data entry and ensure data integrity in TMS, support the maintenance of the archive.
– Facilitate and ensure invoicing, payments, and sustains financial reconciliation
– Manage accounts payable and accounts receivable as it relates to expenses under curatorial or event specific budgets.
– Support scheduling for the Curatorial Team with interdepartmental meetings, with artists, and external partners.
– Prepare collateral materials for meetings and support research for presentations.
– Support mail distribution and in sending mail for the Team.
– Demonstrated expertise in supporting administrative functions for the visual arts.
– Experience with scheduling across a team, filing, finance, and data integrity.
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills; exemplary research capabilities
– Ability to handle multiple projects in various stages of development; demonstrated ability to proactively prioritize and manage time, juggle multiple duties and tasks, and meet deadlines.
– Sufficient flexibility and ability to prioritize across a fast paced work environment.
– Exceptional judgment, professionalism, and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive situations and matters.
– Broad knowledge of contemporary art in local, national, and international contexts.
Please send an email and attach your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and include either “Administrative Assistant, Curatorial” in the subject line. Be advised that due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions MoMA PS1 is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation. Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at MoMA PS1. For more information about MoMA PS1, please visit https://www.MoMA.org/ps1