Position type:part-time Location:Lewisburg, PA Categories:Academic Affairs, Other
The primary role of the Art Assistant in Printmaking is to assist the printmaking and design professor with class activities and the day-to-day operations of the printmaking shop. The Art Assistant also ensures the safe student use of the facility on nights and weekends. The Art Assistant helps students with technical issues on projects, maintains equipment and materials, orders supplies, performs maintenance on the printing presses, and cleans the printmaking shop as necessary.
This position is an excellent stepping-stone for a student who has recently completed their undergraduate studies or is about to graduate, and who is interested in pursuing an MFA in studio art but wants a couple of additional years to develop a stronger portfolio and gain experience. The close mentoring provided in this position, as well as the access to equipment and resources of the wider University will enable a motivated person to become a highly desirable candidate for graduate study. The Art Assistant hired for this position will have 24/7 access to the printmaking studio to work on their own projects when not involved in Art Assistant duties.
This is a one-year position, from approximately mid-August to early May, with the possibility of renewal for a second year (contingent upon favorable evaluations). This is a 25-hour per week, limited benefits eligible position.
As a role model in the classroom, the Art Assistant must exhibit a high level of professionalism, be punctual, and respond promptly to emails and other inquiries.
Job Duties: • Assist the printmaking professor with class activities and the day-to-day operations of the printmaking studio.
• Oversee safe student use of equipment in the printmaking studio during classes and on nights and weekends.
• Ensure the safe use of the presses, acids, solvents, shears, and other equipment.
• Provide students with extensive instruction on how to use the equipment, acids, solvents, etc. safely and efficiently.
• Demonstrate technical processes including mixing ink and use of tools and presses when asked by the professor.
• Mix and change etch solutions for zinc and copper plates.
• Perform work in the maintenance, inventory, and procurement of equipment and supplies.
• Regularly clean, oil, and maintain printing presses using the press lubrication guide.
• Maintain an inventory of all inks, solvents, paper, and other required materials.
• Prepare materials for hazardous waste pickup.
• Repair and maintain tools as needed.
• Keep an inventory of supplies; order and purchase supplies as needed.
• Coordinate with facilities staff about maintenance issues that need to be addressed in the printmaking and design studios.
• Keep the printmaking studio clean and well ordered.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Minimum Qualifications: • Bachelor’s degree in Studio Art
• Familiarity with a range of printmaking-related equipment and media, and an understanding of equipment and material safety
• Must be dependable, have strong work ethic, and good communication skills
We seek a candidate whose experience and expertise will contribute to Bucknell’s commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
Preferred Qualifications: • Well versed in intaglio, lithography, relief, silkscreen and/or digital printing
1. Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 25 pounds.
2. Ability to move equipment around.
3. Use proper safety equipment for head, eyes, hands and body protection.
4. Exposure to printmaking solvents, acids, etc.
To apply, please submit the following required documents –
1) A cover letter, addressing your interst in this opportunity and what makes you a strong candidate for the position.
2) A resume, outlining all of your employment history, including art-related and non-art-related work.
3) A portfolio consisting of 20 JPEG images, and a document that lists the title, year completed, materials, and dimensions for each work of art. Please email the JPEGs and document to Eddy Lopez, Assistant Professor of Art, at email@example.com. In addition, if you have a website or portfolio, then please include a link to it in your cover letter.
Review of applications will begin April 10, 2020 and continue until the position is filled.