You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience and security.
Location: New York City
Parsons School of Design, a college of The New School, seeks candidates for Assistant Professor of Illustration, a renewable term faculty position in the School of Art, Media and Technology at Parsons.
The Assistant Professor should demonstrate expertise in the practice, history and theory of visual thinking and technique and have experience in a variety of areas in the illustration field. Candidates must show evidence of their innovation in their pedagogical approaches and be forward-thinking about skills and literacies now required to respond to complex of global conditions.
The Assistant Professor may be expected to teach undergraduate as well as graduate courses, within the School of Art, Media and Technology including students from a variety of disciplines across Parsons. The teaching load will be 5 courses per year, or the equivalent, with at least one course per term within a ‘Core’ curriculum. The Assistant Professor will hold regular office hours, and participate in extracurricular activities on a regular basis (e.g., critiques, review panels, thesis supervision, independent study) as well as contribute to the broader Parsons/New School community by way of committee assignments, project or exhibition coordination, working groups etc. The Assistant Professor is expected to continue to participate actively and with distinction in professional, creative and/or scholarly work. The terms and conditions of this faculty appointment are governed by The New School policies as set forth in the Full-Time Faculty Handbook.
The final decision to hire is subject to budget approval by the Office of the Provost.
The successful candidate Assistant Professor must have:
• A terminal degree or demonstrated equivalence in illustration, fine arts, and/or related areas.
3-5 years of active/current professional practice or creative/critical scholarship, and an established record of professional accomplishments.
• At least three years teaching experience at university level, coupled with a proven track record of working well with people from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional training and aesthetic sensibilities.
• Thorough knowledge of field of illustration, including in digital technology, and in new media relating to the field of illustration, including animation and motion graphics
• Understanding of the implications of design and fine arts practice in relationship to broader social, cultural, economic, scientific and technological forces.
• An ability to connect the department to external artists and the industry. A broad vision of the department’s needs in relation to the demands of the market, and to the artistic potential of the students
• Interest in developing critical, historical, and theoretical discussions around visual culture, illustrative methodologies in the classroom/studio.
• Ability to develop and nurture individual student’s design abilities and a strong commitment to progressive design education.
• Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills.
• Good management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, communicate and motivate effectively.
• An interest in working collaboratively within Parsons, the University, and with external partners towards the development of shared projects and initiatives.
Parsons The New School for Design
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants for faculty positions must apply on-line using the streamlined faculty application on The New School human resources website http://careers.newschool.edu. Applicants may be contacted at the discretion of the search committee for additional materials, such as digital work samples.
The New School is committed to actively recruiting from a diverse pool of applicants. We encourage candidates from groups underrepresented in US higher education to apply.
The New School does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, creed, sex or gender (including gender identity and expression), pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, religious practices, mental or physical disability, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, veteran status, marital or partnership status, or any other legally protected status.
Position Start Date: July 2018
Open Until Filled
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
What is your minimum required salary for this posted position?
(Open Ended Question)
The New School
Online App. Form: