The Millsaps College Art Department seeks proposals for solo and group exhibitions for the Lewis Art Gallery to be displayed during the 2018-19 academic year. Any individual, collective, or group of artists located regionally, nationally, or internationally (ages 18+) may apply. All mediums and themes will be considered for exhibition. We give preference to artists outside Mississippi in order to bring new, varied voices to the greater Jackson area. We’re interested in all types of work that address contemporary issues and concerns, use traditional materials in unusual ways, and/or challenge our community’s point of view. We also seek artists exploring alternative forms of participation and engagement.
The facilities include an expansive gallery with natural and artificial overhead lighting as well as a smaller enclosed space for work such as video and installation. Images of the gallery are available upon request. Artists are responsible for shipping costs to and from the gallery if their work is accepted. If available, artists are encouraged to visit campus for a gallery talk, workshop or presentation, as well as meetings with our art students for informal critiques and feedback on their developing work. Funding is limited; therefore, artists may be asked to cover travel and lodging costs when visiting. If accepted, the Millsaps College Art Department will provide a formal letter of acceptance for artist’s records, as well as copies of promotional materials.
REQUIRED MATERIALS: ❑ 8-10 digital images labeled with artist name and accompanying image list with artwork title, media, dimensions, and date created (images should be at least 300dpi and should not exceed 2000 pixels in any direction). ❑ Artist statement for proposed exhibition including what spaces you will use (the main gallery and/or the smaller installation space) ❑ Short biography ❑ Résumé and/or CV (may not exceed 3 pages) including links to artist website ❑ Available dates and possible titles for the proposed exhibition ❑ For more information, contact our Gallery Director, Matthew Holl, at email@example.com. To submit a proposal, send all materials to: LewisGallerySubmissions@gmail.com
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 1, 2018 Lewis Art Gallery Specifications Below please find a list of gallery equipment/assets available to artists during installation and/or exhibition:
– As the gallery is located on the third floor of a shared academic building, most artists require the use of the elevator, which is 94” deep x 59” wide x 86” tall and is rated to 4000lbs.
– Hand truck/dolly and push cart (350lb capacity)
– LCD Projector (x3) – able to be used anywhere in the Lewis Gallery (there is one fixed mounting position that focuses the image on the large rear wall of the gallery).
– HD Media Player – compatible with a USB drive or SD card
– Pedestals, painted to match the gallery walls (All dimensions are LxWxH): o (3) 32″ x 32″ x 32″ o (6) 8″ x 8″ x 47″ o (1) 12″ x 12″ x 40.5″ o (2) 12″ x 12″ x 36.5″ o (2) 16″ x 40″ x 36.5″ o (1) 24″ x 24″ x 31.5″
– 6’ Step Ladder
– Makita Drill & Driver Set
– Various hand tools. We have most common tools/bits, but if you are using anything that is highly specialized, you should plan to bring/provide the appropriate tool/bit.
– The Emerging Space – a smaller, light-tight gallery within the Lewis Gallery with dimmable directional lighting, a ceiling-mounted projector and speakers which are connected to a Mac computer (and can be alternatively connected to a DVD or Media Player)
– Labor: o If you will be bringing your work to campus to install, the gallery director and/or the gallery work study student will be available to help you with the installation of your exhibition, as well as with deinstallation, dependent upon their class schedules. o If you will be shipping your work, the gallery staff will be responsible for all aspects of installing and de-installing your show.
Please provide detailed instructions for installation/deinstallation/packing of your work.