Curator of Drawings and Prints, The Whitney Museum, New York, NY
The Whitney Museum seeks a curator with an extraordinary record of exhibitions and publications to fill a newly created position overseeing the Museum’s distinguished collection of drawings and prints.
The incumbent will report directly to the Nancy and Steve Crown Family Chief Curator and join the museum’s highly collaborative senior curatorial team at a time of great institutional growth and transformation. This position requires strong expertise in 20th- and 21st-century American art; a specialty in early to mid-twentieth century art is preferred but not required.
• Oversee the growth of the Whitney’s drawing and print holdings through gifts and purchases by acquisition committees.
• Help to define the Museum’s collection strategy and display methodology in consultation with the Chief Curator and Director of the Collection.
• Collaboratively shape the scholarly program and research functions of the Museum’s recently inaugurated Sondra Gilman Study Center for works on paper.
• Propose and organize collection displays and loan exhibitions (in any medium), including the writing and preparation of related scholarly catalogues, brochures, and didactic texts; development of educational programs; and fundraising.
• Cultivate external relationships with artists; trustees and various patron groups; members of the press; and colleagues at other institutions.
• Work closely with other curatorial staff and departments in the museum, in particular Conservation, Education, Exhibitions and Collections Management, Publications, Advancement, and Research Resources.
• Approve loans; work with artists, scholars, and other interested parties to access the collection; undertake special research projects for the collection and acquisitions as needed; represent the Museum within the scholarly community through participation in panels, symposia, and other forums; supervise administrative matters related to these activities.
• M.A. in art history; Ph.D. preferred
• 10+ years of experience, including a distinguished record of exhibitions, publications, and acquisitions in the field.
Please send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: email@example.com and state “Curator” in the subject line.