• Performs work in relation to the care of the collection and expedites arrangements for custodial, registration, and preparation work as required by the curators in the maintenance of the collection in gallery, study, and storage areas.
• Conducts daily collection gallery inspections and assists with follow-up arrangements in the event of damage, deterioration, etc.
• Performs the duties of exhibitions assistant, including research on subjects such as artists, periods, styles, etc., on specific works, on locations of works, on photograph sources, etc.
• Assists in arranging loans; catalog preparation; preparation of checklists, including compiling and typing; coordinating and scheduling work to be done within the Museum and without in such areas as conservation, photography, public information, matting and framing, construction, lighting, etc.
• Assists with the preparation and installation of wall labels. Conducts daily inspection of the works on view in temporary exhibitions and assists with necessary follow-up arrangements. Answers inquiries and conducts some gallery tours as necessary for visitors, etc.
• Researches and catalog the Museum Collection and Archives under senior staff supervision and answers related inquiries from the public and scholars.
• Assists in the operation of departmental study centers.
• Works with curatorial interns as assigned.
• Keeps informed of current activity in the area of departmental interests through gallery and museum visits, publications, etc. and conveys observations to the senior staff.
• Performs any other duties reasonably related to the functions described above.
• Master’s degree in art history strongly preferred with a particular expertise/exposure to art from the post-war period through to contemporary.
• Prior curatorial experience preferred.
• Superior research and writing skills and fluency in a foreign language preferred.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and other standard office procedures and equipment.
Reports to: Chief Curator
*Note: Please include a cover letter.Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.*