Executive Director, Pyramid Atlantic Art Center, Hyattsville, MD
Postmarked by August 19, 2016
Pyramid Atlantic Art Center (PAAC) was founded in 1981 to provide a setting for artistic collaboration and has become nationally recognized for printmaking, papermaking and book arts. A 501(c)(3) non-profit
contemporary arts center, PAAC receives federal and state funds as well as generous support from private
foundations, corporations, local businesses and individuals. PAAC just moved into the fully renovated historic arcade building in the burgeoning Gateway Arts District in Hyattsville, MD, part of metropolitan Washington, DC. The facility features a papermaking studio, print studio, letterpress shop, bindery, darkroom, digital lab and a wood shop. We have 19 private rental studios for artists and a gallery for exhibitions and events.We offer adult and youth art classes, artist residencies, fellowships and internships. PAAC hosts two biennial events: Pyramid Atlantic Book Arts Fair and our Print Symposium.
Job Description: Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the mission, staff and programs.
• Fundraising: Implement a comprehensive fundraising program to include annual giving, grant proposals, programs and special events that expand the donor and membership base.
• Finance: Oversight of accounting, financial reporting, budgeting and internal accounting controls for $500K annual budget. Working knowledge of financial statements and quick books.
• Education: Develop and supervise adult and youth education programs consistent with PAAC’s mission; develop collaborative programming with other organizations. Oversee the in-school education and resident studio artist programs.
• Board: Develop and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio on committees; set regularly scheduled, agenda-oriented meetings with clear working directives.
• Community: Lead, develop, and retain staff; careful coordination with number two associate; prioritize activities to meet organization goals and responsibilities and motivate people to accomplish these goals by providing clear direction and purpose.
• Outreach: Develop marketing plan (web presence, social media, external relations, etc.) with regularly scheduled communications; further develop a stakeholder database to facilitate interests and donor levels.
• Ambassador: Represent education and artist programs nationally to schools, conferences, and public forums to position PAAC as a leader in the region’s arts and culture community.
• Vision: Develop and implement (with a professional consultant) a one year and three year strategic plan that develops goals with a realistic, timeline driven process that ensures ongoing programmatic excellence and metric-driven program evaluation.
• Exhibitions: Develop and oversee gallery exhibition program, schedule and venue rental.
• Facility: Ensure a safe, healthy and clean environment using sustainable and nontoxic materials when possible. Oversee facility manager.
• A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Art, Arts Management or related field relevant to the task of being the operational and content leader of a renowned visual arts organization.
• Proven leadership and management capabilities. This should include planning and budget experience and the initiative to ensure that ongoing administration and annual fundraising goals are successful (including a proven ability to write successful grants).
• The ability to confidently represent the organization and develop and articulate its vision. This must include excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Management, oversight, and organizational skills that will allow the organization’s essential assets to flourish and expand.
• Proven capability of working effectively with staff, a board of directors, artists, sponsors, and supporters in a non-profit organization.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with the skillset the candidate offers. Benefits include health insurance, paid vacation, sick leave and federal holidays.
1. Cover letter with statement of purpose and salary requirements
2. Current C.V.
Submit by mail only: ED Search, Pyramid Atlantic Art Center, 4318 Gallatin Street, Hyattsville, MD 20781
Submission deadline: Postmarked by August 19, 2016
Questions: email@example.com. No phone calls, please.