You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience and security.
Parsons School for Design, a division of The New School, seeks a Full-time Technician in Print Media Resources for the Making Center. Parsons Making Center is a collection of more than 70,000 sq.ft. of labs, shops, studios, and open work spaces that provide curricular support for making across a broad range of mediums and disciplines, and supports experimentation and interdisciplinary collaboration. The Technician should be a personable, proactive, detail oriented individual who will become integral to the daily workings of the facilities within the Making Center, with the ability to learn new skills and technologies as needed. This is a fast paced dynamic environment that runs year round. The Technician will interface with students and faculty daily and work with Making Center staff to support multiple processes and resources for all users in a range of making spaces including the Printmaking Studio, Design Lab, and Book Arts Studio. This is an administrative position, governed by a Local 1205 Teamsters union contract, that reports to the Facilities Manager, Printmaking.
• Maintain a clean and safe working environment and uphold a respectful shop culture for students, faculty, and staff.
• Work with other Making Center staff on the troubleshooting, repair, maintenance, installation, continuous operation and support for a variety of hardware/software and technologies.
Assist supervisor and Making Center Leadership with the following:
• Assist faculty and students.
• Lead demo sessions about various pieces of equipment.
• Make hardware/software purchase and process recommendations.
• Create and update web page content.
• Create and conduct orientations, trainings, and tours.
• Participate in the onboarding process for new technician staff, through peer to peer trainings and skills sharing.
• Maintain administrative systems for scheduling, record keeping, inventories, and metrics tracking.
• Provide support for store and tool checkout functions as related to assigned areas
• Oversee daily workings of the Making Center facilities as assigned.
• Supervise student workers, including training, tracking accountability, and assigning tasks during shifts.
• Oversee tool and equipment checkout for both in-shop/lab use and off-site special requests.
• Create clear, accurate, user-friendly technical documentation, signage, and instructions for labs and equipment.
• Assist with facility improvement projects, shows and installations, and special Making Center, program, school or Parsons-wide initiatives as needed.
• Adapt to changes in the work environment; adjust approach and prioritizes competing demands as necessary.
• Provide a high level of customer service, maintaining a positive and professional demeanor and attitude in all interactions with students, faculty, and staff.
• Cultivate a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming learning environment with productive and positive workplace relationships.
• Stay current with relevant technology and developments within the field. • Attend regularly scheduled Making Center staff meetings.
• Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• A Bachelor’s Degree and 3 years relevant or professional experience within the industry.
• Flexible schedule – ability to work non-traditional schedules that may include nights and weekends, in addition to schedule shifts with semester changes.
• Completion of university required staff trainings and necessary COF’s for all Making Center Facilities within the first 6 months of employment.
• Become proficient in Web Check Out or current equipment management system within the first 6 months of employment.
• Knowledge of various printmaking and book arts practices in all or some of the following areas: silkscreen, etching, woodcut, lithography, letterpress, drum leaf, soft cover books, conservation enclosures, hand typesetting, vandercook press, solar plate etching and all digital printing output technologies
• Technical knowledge of of traditional, modern, experimental and “green” printmaking processes, be familiar with practices related to current design and art practice, – including, but not limited to: chemistry and digital output methods.
• Full comprehensive experience running, maintaining, repairing, troubleshooting necessary equipment/tools.
• Understanding of working in a cross-platform (Windows and macOS) environment, as well as digital camera formats, various digital output technologies, including but not limited to UV printing, film output (for screen printing as well as experimental photography processes) and Risograph Duplicator, and Piezography printers..
• Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud and Google Docs.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, close attention to detail, and strong organizational and time management abilities.
• Strong ability to assist students working in an interdisciplinary and/or experimental manner from concept to fabrication.
• A desire to learn new skills and processes related to Parsons Making Center initiatives.
• Knowledge of Webcheckout or comparable equipment management systems a plus.
• Experience with large-scale hardware and software deployments a plus.
• Press and Printer repair a plus.
• Experience with textiles a plus.
Posting Date: 06/14/2019 Open Until Filled: Yes