Intern, Editions and Photographs, Phillips, New York
FOUR MONTH INTERNSHIP – Phillips is currently seeking an organized and motivated individual to fill a fixed-term, four-month internship in the Editions and Photographs departments.
Based in our New York Headquarters at 450 Park Avenue, the primary focus of the internship will be to gain insight into the day to day operations of a successful international auction house. We welcome candidates with a specific interest Editions and Photographs. Interns will have a chance to be trained in Phillips’ systems and research procedures in order to directly contribute to the department throughout an entire sale cycle.
By assisting in our fall sales—Editions and Photographs Day and Evening Sales —successful applicants will benefit from this unique opportunity for professional development through hands-on experience in the art industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
The intern will have the opportunity to assist the department at every level in the following ways:
• Aid with organizational tasks to help each sale administrator leading up to sale deadlines
• Work closely with Specialists on research projects on specific collections and works of art
• Prepare materials for catalogue layout and assist with catalogue production for each sale
• Compile data into appraisals and proposals to assist with business-getting
• Record sale results for Phillips sales
• Assist with sale viewing set-up in gallery space
• Participate in auction-day roles for all spring sales, across all departments
• Complete ad-hoc research projects on specific artists and galleries including trips to various libraries in the city
Professional Skills and Experience
• The ideal candidate will have a passion for fine art with specific interest in Editions and Photographs. They should have excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to deal effectively and efficiently with multiple tasks while working to meet strict deadlines.
• The internship is five days per week from Monday thru Friday, 9 am to 6 pm, with flexibility to work on weekends during sale deadlines. Interns are paid at minimum wage.
Education and Training
• Must be current college seniors seeking a Bachelor’s degree, or college graduates with a Bachelor’s degree. Graduate students preferred.
• Interest in Editions and Photographs
• Strong communication skills
• Highly organized, team player
• Attentive to detail
• Willingness and desire to learn and ask questions
• Strong work ethic with effective time management; ability to multi-task, take initiative and work well independently
• Work is undertaken primarily within an office environment in our New York location.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends as necessary
To apply, please email a resume, cover letter, and a 500-word writing sample on an art-related topic of your choosing to JobsNewYork@phillips.com using the subject header “Intern, Editions/Photographs”. Please be advised, due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and backgrounds best fit the needs of the open position. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.