Master Printer: Crow’s Shadow Institute of the Arts, Pendleton, OR
Position Open Master Printer
Full time, non-exempt
Annual Salary: $38,000–$48,000 Depending on Experience
Reports to Executive Director
Application deadline: January 31, 2017.
Crow’s Shadow is seeking an experienced Master Printer to contribute to the continued growth of the organization. CSIA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to providing a creative conduit for educational, social, and economic opportunities for Native Americans through artistic development. The Master Printer will work with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to run an established artist-in-residence program, educational programs, and oversee a professional print publishing studio. The qualifying candidate will have technical expertise covering a wide range of printing processes, with an emphasis on all forms of fine-art lithography.
Under general supervision, the Master Printer will promote Crow’s Shadow and fine art lithography; manage all aspects of the Crow’s Shadow professional studio; collaborate with artists-in-residence to print editions; and supervise and teach printmaking workshops.
Collaborative Master Printer Duties:
• Work collaboratively with visiting artists to create published editions and series.
• Prepare and publish hand-pulled, limited-editions prints as specified with the collaborating artists and CSIA staff, to the highest standards of quality.
• Schedule studio and press time, and maintain appropriate operational workload to achieve quality and timely production.
• Maintain all relevant records pertaining to publishing.
• Track and record publishing expenses.
• Maintain all aspects of professional print studio, including printing materials, supplies, tools, and equipment.
• Perform routine equipment and press maintenance.
• Maintain and track print inventory, permanent collections, and archived prints.
• Preferred but not required: ability to frame published prints for permanent collection, using archival materials, at the direction of CSIA staff.
Teaching and Educational Duties:
• Prepare and teach public printmaking workshops, both in-house and at external facilities. Workshops will be geared towards adult learners, with little to no printmaking experience. Advanced workshops will be offered depending on public interest.
• Prepare private workshops according to client needs.
• Teach on-going print class with select high school students; age range 14-18
• Teach and oversee summer youth print programs; ages range 10-14
Other duties, skills, knowledge, and abilities:
• Assist in organizing and managing digital and physical files pertaining to print inventory.
• Utilize in-house database system (FilemakerPro) for inventory and client tracking
• Possess strong inter-personal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• Ability to monitor and/or maintain quality control standards.
• Willingness to travel regionally, nationally, and internationally to promote Crow’s Shadow Institute of the Arts, and its prints and programs.
• Ability and willingness to speak in public settings.
• Education: Bachelors degree from accredited institution required, MFA or equivalent preferred
• 3 years experience in professional print studio, or equivalent setting
• Prior collaborative printing experience required; Examples of collaborative prints will be reviewed
• Prior experience in non-profit sector, and experience working with culturally diverse populations is highly desirable
Working Conditions, Physical Effort and Location:
• Moderate physical effort. May require occasional lifting, handling, pushing, or moving objects up to 50 lbs. Constant standing/walking.
• Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks, such as operating dangerous equipment or working with chemicals.
• Willingness to live and work in rural setting, with average commute distance of 10 miles round trip.
• Provide three verifiable professional references, with contact information
• Provide one collaborative print reference, with contact information
• Provide 3-5 images of collaborative print samples
Mail resumé, cover letter and supplemental material to:
Crow’s Shadow Institute of the Arts
Attn: Master Printer Job Application
48004 St Andrew’s Rd
Pendleton, OR 97801
firstname.lastname@example.org (Include “Master Printer Job Application” in subject line)
Images should be no larger than 72 dpi, 1000px on largest side.