The Print and New Media Studio Technician at Ox-Bow, School of Art and Artists’ residency oversees the technical and operational aspects of Ox-Bow’s printmaking and new media studio, including day-to-day studio operations, and materials management for classes and studio members. The studio technician will ensure a quality, supportive learning environment for a range of skill levels and cultivate a community of learners. The studio technician is expected to build and maintain effective relationships with students, studio members and faculty to gain their respect and trust; Utilize strong communication skills; be an enthusiastic ambassador of and ensure positive perception of Ox-Bow. This is a residential position and the technician will work directly with the Academic, Campus and Program Directors to ensure an organized, cohesive working environment.
Mid-May through mid-August (with the possibility of extending the season September 1-October 10)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Physical Studio and Supply Management
˗ General oversight of print and new media studio
˗ Open and close studio at the beginning and end of the academic season
˗ Set up equipment and studio prior to new student orientation (Sunday) for each class
˗ Repair and maintain tools and equipment as needed
˗ Maintain a system for checkout and inventory of digital equipment
˗ Observe proper studio protocol
˗ Create any safety or information signage and install in studio
˗ Maintain a safe, clean, and organized studio
• Faculty / Student Assistance
˗ Prior to each class, communicate with instructors about individual class needs.
˗ Orient faculty and teaching assistants on use of equipment, studio policies and procedures.
˗ Be available to instructors for class needs.
˗ Post print technician hours in studio.
˗ Manage print studio budget.
˗ Maintain written physical inventory of all supplies and equipment.
˗ Maintain written documentation of studio processes and procedures.
˗ Write end-of-season report assessing functionality of studio, studio budget, procedures, class
success, and any recommendations for next season.
• BFA in arts or the equivalent with at least two years technical experience in a print and new
• Experience with a range of printmaking processes (etching, letterpress, monotype,
lithography, screen printing and relief printing processes).
• Experience with new media equipment (digital printers, adobe suite) preferred
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Ability to work with a wide-range of skill levels, personalities, and backgrounds and modify
technical and operational strategies to optimize learning experience.
• Must have excellent people skills; possess excellent communication skills – written and verbal.
• Strong organizational skills with regard to studio inventories, Materials Safety Data Sheets and
general studio safety.
• Must be a team player able to work independently as well as in a group.
• Must be innovative, resourceful, patient, and a strong sense of integrity.
• Must be able to stand, bend, and routinely lift studio materials and equipment weighing up to 75 lbs.
• Must be able to travel to and from Ox-Bow Saugatuck campus and/or various vendor locations in