The Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers (RE) was formed in 1880 to seek recognition for the value of printmaking as artwork in its own right. To this day it continues to promote original printmaking in all its forms, widen the knowledge and understanding of printmaking as a process, whilst also providing its members with artistic opportunities.
The Society shares its home at Bankside Gallery, in London, with the Royal Watercolour Society in an association that has lasted more than a hundred years. Each year Members are invited to submit two works for inclusion in the Society’s major annual exhibition at Bankside Gallery and there are a number of opportunities to show in joint exhibitions at Bankside Gallery and elsewhere.
Demonstrations and lectures are held as part of the education programme accompanying exhibitions, fulfilling the Society’s status as an educational charity. The RE is run by its Members, all of whom are expected to take an active role in furthering the interests of the Society.
Since 1911, full fellows of the Society have been entitled to use the post-nominals ‘RE’. Newly elected Members, being Associate Members, are entitled to use ‘ARE’ after their name.