The Studio Museum in Harlem, PT Programs Assistant, Education Department
The Studio Museum in Harlem is the nexus for artists of African descent locally, nationally, and internationally and for work that has been inspired and influenced by black culture. It is a site for the dynamic exchange of ideas about art and society.
The Studio Museum’s Education Department activates collaborative opportunities for learning, connection, and leadership through the creative process. By creating experimental spaces, inquiry-driven programs, and accessible resources, Education programs at the Studio Museum encourage people to be critical thinkers and creative makers. The department is committed to fostering meaningful art engagement connected to art and artists of African descent, rooted in curiosity, rigor, and reflection that fosters inclusion across communities.
The Program Assistant will provide support in the planning and implementation of the Studio Museum’s School and Community Partnerships, and Teen Programs. This position assists program coordinators with essential tasks and projects that ensure programs and partnerships run smoothly, including scheduling program sessions and planning meetings, processing invoices and payment requests, assisting with seasonal outreach, recruitment and selection for teen programs, ordering program supplies, handling program inquiries from the public, and other administrative duties. The Program Assistant works closely with members of the Education department, and has regular interaction with other museum staff and the public.
Although this position is currently remote, to ensure the safety and health of our staff, the Studio Museum is committed to being 100% virtual through June 2021, and will continue to assess circumstances to determine when to resume in-person activities.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Support program prep and implementation, including scheduling, event support forms, program registration, and documentation (photo/video/written).
• Assist with ordering, preparing and transporting program supplies for programs and partnerships; tracking materials usage and needs across partnership sites.
• Prepare teen and partnership images and captions for teen social media channels; attend social media planning meetings
• Respond to general email and phone inquiries for teen, school and community programs
• Prepare invoices, submit and track payment requests for partnerships and teen programs
• Handle ordering, set-up and clean-up of food and refreshments for program sessions and culminating celebrations.
• Assist with creating letters of agreement, photo release and consent forms, program culmination certificates
• Assist with tasks related to recruiting and selection seasons for Expanding the Walls + Teen Leadership Council
• Compile and organize program evaluation data and statistics
• Handle mailings to partnership sites and teen program participants.
• Help with special projects as needed.
• BA/BFA in art, arts administration, art history, art education, African American Studies, or an equivalent combination of education and experience in related fields.
• 1-2 years museum education experience
• Strong organizational and administrative experience
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated proficiency with and accuracy in using MS Office products, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint and other related software applications. Raisers Edge, Online Express experience is a plus.
• Proficiency with digital access management systems (DAMS)
Please send a resume and cover letter (PDFs preferred!) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Programs Assistant” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls or faxes, please.
The Studio Museum in Harlem is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, gender identification, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliations.