Dear SGCI Members,
The events of the past few weeks have set our world on a new quest. Public protests being met with a belated reluctance – because change takes time and is reciprocal. But despite the adage art thrives in times of social unrest, cultivating innovation and community cohesion. If we aspire to forge a new normal with art at the center – there is a hybrid space of infinite possibilities.
Our members are encouraged to be vanguards in the discipline, affirm art as the vehicle to evolve independent judgment, elevate analytical ability and develop social responsibility.
Moving forward the board has formed a committee to review the comments and concerns sent via various channels and we have several new initiatives, outlined below.
- Review our board composition and approval process of board nominees
- Board Training to ensure non-profit best practices
- Soliciting for a Web Editor and Vice President of Outreach. The call for nominations will only proceed on the proviso we have a pool with 40% of applicants identifying as Black, Indigenous, LGBTQIA+, Persons of Color, or Persons with a Disability
- The new Vice President of Outreach will assist the board in supporting diversity efforts
- Form a Nominating Committee from the membership to give the members greater input in selecting SGCI leadership
- Form a Finance Subcommittee including representatives from the membership for increased transparency.
In response to critical member feedback the board has updated the The Listening Channel so as to reinforce its role as a safe space for members to anonymously provide feedback or express concerns to named members of the board.
In closing, as President I exercise an open-door policy and will answer questions, suggestions and complaints at my personal email to ameliorate any concerns with our board and its members as outlined in the Handbook:
The President is responsible to the membership of the organization and the Executive Board, as provided for in the Bylaws and Constitution of the organization. The President provides leadership for the organization by overseeing routine operations of the organization, by identifying opportunities or problems, and establishing priorities for initiatives to be undertaken by the organization.
My 30-day tenure has been memorable and I remain steadfast with renewed optimism that we can weather the storm, be better to each other and be an example to our community beyond the confines of SGCI.
Dr. Faisal Abdu’Allah
President, SGC International