Hey Grad Students! Three Minute Thesis Competition at Puertográfico!
Want to take a chance at winning free conference registration for our 2021 conference in Providence? Well, then, have we got an opportunity for you!
SGCI and our 2020 San Juan steering committee are excited to announce our Three MinuteThesis (3MT ®) like competition for current graduate students at Puertográfico. Official 3MT® competitions are for PhD students. Our unofficial version will be for MFA students, those pursuing our field’s terminal degree. While our winners will not be eligible to compete in further 3MT® competitions, we’ll follow all the rules and enjoy all the fascination and fun!
The Three Minute Thesis was originated at The University of Queensland to celebrate the research of graduate students. These competitions cultivate students’ academic, presentation, and research communication skills and help individuals develop the “capacity to effectively explain their research in three minutes, in a language appropriate to a non-specialist audience.”
You can learn more about 3MT® competitions here and see examples of 3MT® presentations here.
What are the rules of participation?
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of any description are allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
The preliminary round of our competition will take place on Friday, April 3, 2020, 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM. Three finalists will present their 3MT®s at the beginning of our awards ceremony Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 6:00 PM. Our SGCI 3MT® winner will be announced at the end of the ceremony. The winner receives a free 2021 conference registration!
How can you participate?
- We have 18 slots for competitors.
- Each MFA program can nominate one graduate student.
- To reserve a spot for you institution’s participant email 3MT@sgcinternational.org.
- Perhaps your program will host its own competition between the MFA candidates at your institution with the winner participating in our competition at Puertográfico.
- Participants must be registered by Friday February 28, 2020 at 11:59 PM PCT through the form on this page.
Questions? Email 3MT@sgcinternational.org